Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Sleeping Situation...

When Jack was first born, I insisted he didn't like to sleep on his back... therefore trying to validate why I had Jack sleep on my chest for the first few weeks... okay months. Then something magical happened. He learned how to flip over. Ever since then, he's been able to sleep for a few hours, unlike the cat naps he had previously teased us with.
But all was not perfect yet. He still woke up in the middle of the night wanting a quick snack. To be quite honest, I didn't mind these early wake up calls. In fact I think I enjoyed them. Jack was just so snuggly and warm... and quiet that I loved this time we had, just the two of us. But at a certain point I came to the realization that sleeping "through the night" would be a good thing. I still didn't know how to do this, because I felt horrible when Jack would whimper and moan... and I felt like I was ignoring his need for love and possibly food (heaven forbid my five month old 17 pound baby would go hungry!). Well, Linda, his "teacher", said just try it one night. Let him be. He'll fall back to sleep. I thought no way. He needs his Mom... he needs me to come and get him... he wants to be with me. Um... I was wrong. He just needed to be left alone for a minute and he'd fall back to sleep on his own. Turns out I was the one who needed to be with him. Even now I still wake at 1:30, expecting him to be up waiting for me. He's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A mom's blog about her two little boys...